Tuesday, January 26, 2016

About Me

The Basic Background

My name is McCale Penven-Crew.  I was born and grew up in Raleigh, NC.  I spent the years I had between high school and college figuring out exactly what it was I wanted to do with my life.  In the meantime I was a live in nurse, a roofer, a landscaper, a desk jockey and a United States Sailor.  This wealth of experience has helped me shape my world view.  I ended up at my beautiful and supportive wife's Alma Mater, William Peace University (formerly Peace College), the semester after she graduated.  We are the first two alumni from Peace to get married, this only just recently being a possibility because same-sex marriage was illegal in North Carolina and Peace has only admitted men for the past four years.  I am double majoring in Political Science and Communications with the long-term goal of teaching college courses in one, or both, of the topics.  My short-term goals are either going back to the Navy and getting a Commission as a Public Affairs Officer, or going on to grad school.

Left and Right

For the Senior Seminar connected to the Political Science degree we are focusing on Human Rights.  We were instructed to come up with a topic involving Human Rights to maintain a weekly blog throughout the semester.  I chose Social Welfare programs.  However, with an eye ever towards the future I will be doing my absolute best to prevent my personal views from coming through.  There are numerous Social Welfare programs in the United States and there are many arguments for and against them.  If I do this correctly you, the reader, will not know where I stand on any of the issues.  In life, much like the world of politics, there are a plethora of opinions.  It is imperative for people to seek out different opinions and make up their own minds rather than simply following tradition or taking a side and refusing to budge or even consider the other side.  I hope to show both sides of the dialogue and to encourage thought and consideration so that people might question their beliefs and open their minds to the world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment